What We Fund
The Youngstown Foundation’s grants reflect our desire to be innovative, inclusive and responsive to the needs of our local community. Each year, approximately 500 grants ranging from $1,000 to $300,000 are awarded to effective 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organizations. The Youngstown Foundation Distribution Committee approves all grant awards.
Five Year Distribution Analysis
- The Youngstown Foundation considers grants to support a specific project, connected to a set of activities, with a beginning and an end, explicit objectives and a predetermined cost.
- Funds are restricted to use for the program described and designed in the application serving residents of Mahoning County and/or Trumbull County.
- The Youngstown Foundation considers operational grants to support an organization’s overall activities, including operating expenses and overhead.
- Organizations that consistently serve Mahoning and/or Trumbull county residents may use funds at their discretion—wherever it is most needed.
- Grantees are considered for operational funding based on strategic alignment, relationship with and knowledge of the organization.
Capital Investment Grants
All projects related to improving physical spaces must be located within Mahoning and/or Trumbull counties.
Crisis Assistance Program Grants
The Crisis Assistance Program provides a resource for The Youngstown Foundation to respond quickly to emergency funding needs of qualified 501(c)(3) agencies in Youngstown and vicinity to ensure continuity of essential, direct services to clients. Criteria:
- Crisis Assistance grants cap at $5,000.
- One request per agency per year will be considered.
- To qualify, records of the agency’s 501(c)(3), most recent audit, current board roster, executive staff roster, mission statement and history must be on file at The Youngstown Foundation or provided at time of request.
- Completed applications will be processed within 48 hours of receipt.
- Approved requests will receive funding within four business days.
Support Fund Grants
The Williamson Fund of The Youngstown Foundation invites small to midsize local charities to receive an additional matching grant for contributions received from individuals. Donors can simply make contributions directly payable to approved organizations. The Youngstown Foundation will provide support (valued at $5,000) that may include primetime television advertisement.