The Youngstown Foundation’s grants reflect our desire to be innovative, inclusive and responsive to the needs of our local community. Each year, approximately 150 grants ranging from $1,000 to $300,000 are awarded to effective 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organizations. All grants are approved by the Foundation’s Distribution Committee.
The Youngstown Foundation administers over 40 charitable funds.
Their spectrum of giving encompasses: Arts and Culture, Economic and Community Development, Education, Environment, Health and Human Services.
Five Year Distribution Analysis
Eligibility to Apply
The Youngstown Foundation welcomes applications and inquiries from local nonprofit tax exempt 501(c)(3) public charity that serves the people of Youngstown and vicinity and does not discriminate in the hiring of staff or provision of services. Because of the volume of requests and limited resources, we are unable to fund all requests submitted for consideration.
Types of Grants
Grant requests will be considered for:
- Capital projects
- Operations (limited, special circumstances)
Grants are generally not awarded for:
- Film, video, radio or television projects
- Endowments, debt reduction or budget deficits
- Political projects
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Grants or loans to individuals
- Short-term events such as conferences, festivals, fundraising functions, award programs
- Travel, tours or trips
- Sabbatical leaves; scholarly research
Applications Per Agency
One (1) proposal per agency will be reviewed per calendar year so that we can help as many organizations as possible.
In recent years, the Foundation’s grantmaking has reflected innovative proposals that:
- Originate from a local office of the organization, if there is one
- Target a population that lives in Youngstown and vicinity
- Demonstrate strong volunteer leadership and involvement
- Promote collaboration and reduce duplication of services
- Strengthen the ability of our community to respond more effectively to needs
- Build on strengths of the community
- Apply the Foundation’s resources optimally to meet an important community need
- Confirm agency's sustainability/strategic plan
Multiple Year Awards
Proposals requesting pledge commitments beyond one (1) year will not be considered.
Grant recipients should have no expectation of annual funding.
Amount of Request
Grants awarded from The Youngstown Foundation’s Unrestricted Fund and most donor advised or field of interest funds generally range from $1,000 to $25,000; the maximum cap on the Unrestricted Fund varies annually based on 5% of available income.
How to Apply/Deadlines
How to Apply
It is easy to apply! Submit all materials and information as requested on the Grant Request Guidelines. (Note: There is no official application form.) Organizations applying for the Hine Memorial Fund should use Hine Memorial Fund Grant Request Guidelines. We are happy to fax, mail or email the guidelines; call 330-744-0320 or contact us by clicking here.
There are four grant cycles per year. For upcoming deadlines, see Grant Request Guidelines. (Note: The Hine Memorial Fund uses a separate quarterly deadline schedule. See Hine Fund Grant Request Guidelines.)
No grant requests will be accepted after the 4:00 p.m. deadline.
- Submit only one request!
- As grant requests are received, they are directed to all charitable funds housed within The Youngstown Foundation for consideration and elligibility.
- We do not accept grant requests online.
Grant Award Notification
Grants from The Youngstown Foundation are made at the direction of the Distribution Committee which meets in March, June, September and December. You will be notified in writing regarding the Distribution Committee’s decision. Upon notification, all grant recipients are required to sign and comply with the Foundation’s Grant Agreement.
To be eligible for consideration for future funding, all grant recipients must submit a Grant Award Final Report when the project is completed; no later than the end of the grant award period.