What is YSTAR?
With an initial commitment of three million dollars, The Youngstown Foundation has crafted an innovative and exciting program designed to address critical academic and financial challenges faced by Youngstown City Schools students as they consider post-secondary education.
Commencing with the Class of 2016, all Youngstown City Schools students can receive up to a total of $3,000 of “last dollar” funding for expenses such as tuition, mandatory fees, parking and books. These “last dollars” can often be the determining factor as to whether a student attends college or not. The amounts of the awards are based on the number of years each student completes in the program. Funds can only be utilized for attendance at Youngstown State University and Eastern Gateway Community College.
The Goals of the YSTAR Program are...
- Increase high school graduation rates
- Raise student achievement
- Reduce high school exit rates
- Increase local college application and admission rates
- Encourage families to value education
- Increase skilled workers in the region
- Attract more firms to the area that value a skilled workforce
- U.S. Citizen or legal resident
- Resident of City of Youngstown
- Students may enroll in the YSTAR program as high school freshman, sophomore or junior commencing with entering freshman for the academic year 2012-2013/graduating Class of 2016
- To accumulate funds, student must be enrolled in the YSTAR program on an annual basis; there is no retroactive consideration for students who failed to enroll in previous years
- Must complete YSTAR Agreement annually with signatures of student and parent(s) or legal guardian
- Complete all requirements for graduation from the Youngstown City Schools system within four years with at least a 2.0 GPA
- Attend the Youngstown City Schools for a minimum of two consecutive years with the second year being the senior year
- Commit to attending Youngstown State University or Eastern Gateway Community College
- Complete college application, Free Application for Federal Student Aid form and all financial aid/scholarship requirements by institution’s designated deadline.
How to Enroll
Youngstown City Schools students will be notified by the school administration during their freshman year commencing with the incoming freshman class in 2012/2013.
Help make a Difference!
Your gift to the YSTAR program will help to make the dream of a college education a reality for Youngstown City Schools students. We invite you to partner with us in this exciting and unique initiative! Donate Now!
Join The Youngstown Foundation as we work together to ensure that every Youngstown City School student has the opportunity to pursue a higher education. Your generosity will ensure this opportunity for future generations.
For contributions, potential collaborations or student incentive opportunities, contact Jan Strasfeld at 330-744-0320, or
To donate to this exciting new program, click the DONATE TODAY button below and you will be directed to our secure on-line donation page.